Microsoft introduced System Image in Windows 7 and latter called "Files History" in Windows 8/8.1 and Windows 10 to help users back up the full installation of the operating system, settings, desktop programs, Windows apps, and all your personal files. It offers a complete restore solution in case of a critical software error or hardware failure.
In this article, we will show you how to create and restore a system image backup in Windows 10 step by step.
Follow easy steps below to make a full backup of Windows 10 using System Image Backup.
- Open Control Panel, and go to System and Security -> File History. Click on System Image Backup at the bottom left corner.
- The System Image Backup utility will open. Pick a place to save your system image backup (on a hard disk, and click Next. We recommend you save the image backup in a second or external USB hard drive.
- Finally confirm your settings and click Start backup.
In case that your hard drive or system fails, crashes, you can use your previous System Image to revert your computer back to a previous state when your computer is still working.
When your PC can boot normally:
- Open Control Panel, and go to Recovery, and then Open System Restore.
- Click Next, and check the option "Show more restore points" to show all the System Image you have created.
- Click the "Scan for affected programs", you can find out what will happen if you restore from the system image. When all set, go to Next.
- Finally, click Finish and Windows will be restored form your selected system image backup.
When your PC can't boot:
- Boot into your Windows installation media and select Repair your computer.
- You will see the Advanced Startup menu. Navigate to Troubleshoot, then Advanced Options.
- Finally select System Image Recovery option. The computer restore from your system image backup.
Now you have a clear idea about how to create and restore a system image backup in Windows 10. Beside the built-in File History feature in Windows 10, Windows Data Backup is also an omnipotent data backup and restore expert for everyday computer users.