When you connect our iPhone, iPad or iPod to PC and open iTunes, iTunes could back up all the settings, photos, Messages, Camera Roll, notes, call history, documents, saved games, Whatsapp and other data. This file is called iTunes backup file.
Why Need to Extract iPhone/iPad/iPod Backup?
1. The backup is a kind of SQLITEDB file that you can't read in your computer, which means that if you want to view these files or save them in readable formats on computer for backup, you have to extract iPhone, iPad or iPod backup using iOS backup extractor tool.
2. If your iPhone, iPad or iPod stopped working, or got lost or stolen, you could still get back all contacts, photos, SMS, call history and more by extracting the iTunes backup.
3. The other reason why you need an iPhone backup extractor is that iTunes updates the backup file every time you sync with it, no new backup files are created, and this makes it almost impossible to recover very old backup files.
How to Extract iPhone, iPad and iPod backup from iTunes on Mac OS X?
The tool that I adore is called iTunes Data Recovery for Mac which could extract photos, contacts, notes, call history and more from iTunes backup of iPhone, iPad and iPod. Here we take how to extract iPhone photos on Mac for example.
1. Download and install iTunes Data Recovery for Mac on your Mac. As you start the program, it will automatically find all iOS device backups and list them on the program interface. Select the backup you need and click "Start Scan" to precede.
2. Just after scanning, you are allowed to preview photos, text message, contacts, notes and other contents in the backup file. Next select the files you need and click "recover" to extract iPhone, iPad and iPod to Mac.
Note: If your backup is encrypted, you need to decrypt backup firstly and then use the steps above to extract the decrypted backup.
How to Restore iPhone, iPad and iPod from iCloud backup?
Acturally, there is no way to extract iCloud backup for iPhone, iPad or iPod. However, you can use iCloud to restore lost data from backup. Here are steps.
Note: Before using iCloud backup, you should be aware that iClouds only gives you 5GB from space for free. You have to pay for dextral space annually. You'll also ensure good Wifi connection when using it for backup. Besides, iCloud only supports iPhone 5s, 5c, 5, iPhone 4S, iPhone 4 and iPhone 3GS.
1. Go through Setup Assistant on a new device using iOS 5 or later, choose "Restore from iCloud Backup" and enter your iCloud account and password. You will see the 3 most recent backups for each of the devices on which you enabled Backup. Choose which backup to restore from.
2. After your device restarts, your settings and accounts are restored and Backup starts downloading your purchased music, movies, TV shows, apps, books, Camera Roll, and other content.
3. A progress bar will appear underneath the apps that are being downloaded. To prioritize the restore of a specific app, tap its icon. Restore will attempt to download the same version of the app that you had installed previously. If that version is no longer available, the latest version of the app will be restored.
4. To check if the restore is complete, go to Settings > iCloud > Storage & Backup.