Got a new iPhone 5 and want to transfer data from iPhone 4 to iPhone 5? This article revolves around how to transfer iPhone 4 to iPhone 5 without any data loss, including the steps to transfer purchased music, videos, apps, etc. on iPhone 4 to your new iPhone, as well as how to transfer iPhone 4 contacts, text messages, notes, etc. to iPhone 5.
How to Transfer Data from iPhone 4 to iPhone 5
You can easily move files from your old iPhone 4 to new iPhone 5 with 2 ways - iTunes and iCloud. Yet, there are some cautions you should note. To help you better transfer iPhone 4 data to iPhone 5, we'd like to specify the 2 ways in 2 parts.
Part 1. Transfer Data from iPhone 4 to iPhone 5 Using iTunes
Difficulty Level: Easy
Equipments Required: The latest version of iTunes on your computer, a USB cable
Important: When connecting iPhone to computer but iPhone does not show in iTunes, refer to How to Fix It when iPhone is Not in iTunes.
1. Connect your old iPhone 4 to computer via a USB cable and back up your device with iTunes. As to the specified steps to backup iPhone 4, you can refer to the article Transfer iPhone to Computer.
2. After the backup is finished, disconnect iPhone 4 from computer.
3. Turn on your new iPhone 5 and complete the Setup Assistant.
4. When the "Set Up iPhone" screen is prompted, select "Restore from iTunes Backup" and tap "Next".
5. Connect iPhone 5 to computer (the same computer you used to backup up your iPhone 4 just now) with the USB cable. iTunes will pop up a window to allow you to restore from backup and choose the backup file of your iPhone 4.
6. Wait till the restoring process finishes. When your iPhone 5 restarts itself, all the files (including contacts, messages, etc.) from iPhone 4 will be moved to your iPhone 5.
Note:If you have encrypted your iTunes backup before, you need to enter password for restoring from iPhone 4 backup. If you forgot the password, you will not be able to restore the encrypted backup to any device and your data will be unrecoverable until you unlock iTunes backup file password. You can try iPhone Backup Unlocker to help you unlock the password-encrypted iPhone backup files.
Part 2. Transfer iPhone 4 Data to iPhone 5 with iCloud
Difficulty Level: Easy
Equipments Required: Good Wi-Fi connection, an iCloud account (Apple ID)
Important: Your iCloud account has only 5 GB of free storage and iCloud only backs up the purchased songs, movies, TV shows, apps, books, the taken photos and videos in your Camera Roll and some other data. For more information, visit Apple's official website about iCloud storage and backup.
1. Back up your iPhone 4 manually with iCloud: go to "Settings" > "iCloud" > "Storage & Backup", and tap "Back Up Now".
2. After the backup of your old device is finished, boot your iPhone 5 and complete the Setup Assistant. When prompted the Wi-Fi networks screen, choose your Wi-Fi network.
3. When prompted the Set Up iPhone screen, select "Restore from iCloud Backup", tap "Next" and enter your Apple ID and password.
4. Select your iPhone 4 backup and tap "Restore". Then wait till the restoring process is finished.
Note:The time required to back up and restore from your iPhone 4 backup depends on the size of data contained in the backup and the speed of your Wi-Fi connection.
5. After the restoring process is finished, your iPhone 5 will restart. Then you have successfully move iPhone 4 to iPhone5.
How to Deal with Your Old iPhone 4
Since you have the new iPhone 5 and have transferred all data to it from iPhone 4, you may want to leave away from the old one. You can either return it to Apple or resale it to other people. Before you do this, you need to completely delete all data on your old iPhone 4 to prevent your personal info from leaking out.
Here is how:
1. Chang all your passwords for email, social networking sites and banking sites.
2. Reset all settings and erase all contents by going to Settings > General > Reset, tap on "Reset All Settings" and "Erase All Content and Settings".
3. Restore iPhone 4 with iTunes.
P.S.:When getting the new iPhone 5 at hand, you'd better secure your device and your personal info on it. You should learn more about top 10 iPhone security tips for your iPhone 5.