You are a music lover who has built your library over the years of your adventures. Your collection is a mixed of some classic pop and rock, and rare, hard to find indies. You pride yourself to be a person who’s not dragged into the mainstream, and you have shelves of LPs, tapes, and CDs to prove that.
Time changes. Everything including music has gone digital. To keep yourself updated, you’ve digitized your music collection and store it on your hard drive for your listening pleasure. But digital realm has its disadvantage. Other than the less than satisfying sound quality (depending on the source and the converter), you could lose your data in a blink of an eye. You need a safe place to store your precious collection. What is the best place to do that?
How about a cloud storage built specifically for music where your collection will be upgraded to the highest possible quality? It allows you also to stream and download your music anywhere you like.
In a nutshell, iTunes Match is a cloud-based music storage service from Apple. It will scan your music collection and match all the items in your library with the ones - with the best quality available - that Apple has in its library.
Currently, Apple has the largest collection of music in the world compared to other cloud-based music services, so you can be sure that it can match (almost) all songs in your library. If there are songs that the service can’t find the match, it will upload those songs to the cloud and makes it available to stream or download.
The source song can be from anywhere, whether you bought them digitally from Apple or other online retailers, or you imported them from CDs or recorded them live.
Apple Music members also have all the benefits from iTunes Match. If you are one of them, you don’t have to add iTunes Match. But if you don’t want to subscribe to Apple Music, you can buy iTunes Match membership separately.
A user asks on one of the Apple forums whether he can subscribe to iTunes Match using a gift card because there’s no apparent way to do so.
The short answer is yes. If you have an iTunes gift card lying around, or you have credited it to your account, you can use it during the subscription process.
Here’s how you subscribe.
1. Open iTunes on a Mac or PC. Make sure that you have the latest version of iTunes.
2. At the top of the iTunes window, click Store.
3. Under Music Quick Links at the right side of the window, click iTunes Match.
4. Click the Subscribe button.
5. In the "Sign In to subscribe to iTunes Match" dialog that appears, enter the Apple ID and password that you use to make purchases from the iTunes Store.
6. You might be asked to validate your billing information. After you add a valid payment method, click Subscribe. Here’s where you could use your gift card, but you must input the credit to your account beforehand by redeeming it. You can use store credit to pay for your iTunes Match subscription, but you must also have a valid payment method on file.
7. Agree to the iTunes Match Terms and Conditions.
8. iTunes automatically scans your iTunes library for matches. A status indicator lets you track the scan's progress. You can manually pause and resume the scan at any time by clicking the Stop or Start button. If at any time during the matching and uploading process you lose your Internet connection or experience a power outage, iTunes will automatically resume where it left off the next time you open iTunes.
After the process finishes, you'll see a download icon that looks like a small cloud next to items that are available for download from iCloud. If you don't see the download icon, the item is already in your local iTunes library.
Having your music in iTunes Match will ensure that your collection is safe, of the highest quality possible, and accessible from anywhere. The downside is, you need an internet connection to access them. To make sure that you can listen to your collection anytime, you also need to store your collection locally on your hard drive and your iPhone.
But never forget to keep your local data safe. You could do that with the help of Tenorshare iCareFone. This tool will help you tune up your iOS Devices always to give top performance. It can help you fix 90% iPhone issues without any data loss. The tool is available for PC and Mac.