Unfortunately forgot iPhone backup encryption password? What's worse? You can't restore from this backup and even you newly created backup files are also encrypted. This is really a headache. In fact, don't be painful, it happens. Luckily, there are several ways for you to find forgotten backup password for iPhone SE/6/6 Plus/5s/5c/5/4s.
- Method 1: Make Educated Guess When You Can't Remember iPhone Backup Password
- Method 2: Unlock Encrypted iPhone Backup with iPhone Backup Unlocker
- Method 3: Use Keychain Utility When You Forgot iPhone Backup Password Mac
iTunes prompts you to enter the password to unlock your iPhone backup but you have no idea about it? Sometimes you encrypted your backup file but forgot it afterwards, or iTunes for some reason uses a password that you have used before for something, now simply try every single password you know.
- Computer password
- iTunes account password
- Passcode to unlock your iPhone
- Apple ID password
- Your own device name
- Old backup password
Making Educated Guess frankly is a real dam pain and in most cases the results was in vain. Alternatively, you can try iPhone Backup Unlocker to unlock lost password to iPhone backups as easy as 1-2-3. Below is a simple tutorial for you to unlock backup password set in iTunes with iPhone Backup Unlocker.
- Download it on your PC with the encrypted backup file stored and run it after the installation. Click "Add" to import your encrypted backup file from the drop-down box.
- Select an attack type from Brute-force Attack, Brute-force with Mask Attack, Dictionary Attack.
- Click "Start" to start recovering the password, your backup password will be listed in the File Opening Password box within several minutes.
Mac uses have another chance to get lost password back when they forgot iPhone backup password in iTunes. You can try to find lost iPhone backup password in Keychain if you have selected to keep your backup password in it.
- Copy the folder's name of your encrypted backup file and open Keychain Access on your Mac from /Applications/Utilities/.
- Paste the backup folder's name into the search box in the top-right corner of Keychain Access.
- Look for "iPhone backup" item and double click on it. In the new window that will open, click on the "show password" checkbox.
- Enter the Mac administrator password to reveal the lost password associated with the encrypted iPhone backup.
We have dedicated the methods to recover forgotten iPhone backup password in this article, you can have a try now. Additionally, iPhone Backup Unlocker can also delete iPhone backup password which iTunes can't do.