Some users have reported they are experiencing an annoying problem that cannot receive and send any messages since updated to iOS 10 on iPhone or iPad. If you have already updated to the latest iOS 10, and are having issues with Messages or iMessage, here is how you can troubleshoot "can't receive or ceive SMS and iMessage" in iOS 10.
Part 1: When you can't receive or send SMS on iPhone?
These scenarios which can cause this kind of a situation are:
- Your iPhone might not be having a texting setup on your MTS cell plan.
- You might have also typed an incorrect phone number or number is not in the right format with the area code.
- Another scenario is when some you are sending the message to is not receiving the message. This is normally a problem with the recipient's device and not yours.
- The ability to text is directly related to the ability to make phone calls. If you can't make any phone call, then you won't be able to text either.
To solve receive or send messages on your iPhone, iPad, or iPod, here's what you can try
1. Make sure that your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch is updated to the latest version of iOS.
2. If you have an iPhone or iPad (Wi-Fi + Cellular), check for a carrier settings update.
3. Check your network connection. To send an SMS message, you need to have a cellular network connection. If you have Wi-Fi Calling turned on, you can send SMS messages over Wi-Fi. Contact your carrier for more information.
4. Check with your carrier to see if the type of message you're trying to send, like MMS or SMS, is supported.
5. Make sure that you entered the correct phone number or email address for the recipient.
For more tips about how to fix "can't send messages, please read Top 10 Tips to Fix iPhone, iPad, iPod touch Text Messages Not Delivered
Part 2: When you can't receive or send iMessages
iMessage is an Apple messaging service that offers the ability to send and receive messages from one apple device to another. However, there are some occasions when iMessages seem to work abnormally and you can't send or receive iMessages.
Below are some of the scenarios may cause this irregular issue:
- You might have turned off iMessages because you wanted to receive all in the form of SMS text messages thus you can't receive iMessages from iPhone users.
- Another scenario is when you have just switched from iPhone to another phone.
- iMessages might have stopped functioning and you have not checked on it.
To solve this kind of a problem, here's what you can try
1. Ensure that you are connected to internet. In order to receive iMessages, ensure that your device is connected to internet either via cellular data network or by Wi-Fi. You can't receive iMessages without any internet connection.
2. Check your settings. Check the message settings of the device to ensure that they have not been changed. To do so, G to settings app>messages and set the iMessages slider to On position
3. Once it is on, select Send & Receive. Your iPhone's Apple id should be visible at the top part of the window.
4. Reset iMessage. if you find that all settings are right, there is a possibility that your iPhone has lost connection to the iMessage server. To reset, go to Settings, then on Messages tap Send & Receive . Make sure that your phone number is selected under You Can Be Reached By iMessage At".
5. The next thing to do is to reset the device. Press and hold the sleep/ wake button with the Home button for 10 ten seconds. Continue holding down the buttons until the apple logo appears.
6. Turn on iMessage slider and sign in. iMessage activation should go on normally.
7. Fix Message or iMessage problems with ReiBoot.
8. Finally go to Settings>messages and select Send & Receive and ensure that you have selected the email addresses that you want to use for iMessages.
9. Lastly, go back a screen and turn off the iMessage slider.
Enjoy your ability to receive messages and iMessage again and of course to text properly. Please don't hesitate to leave a comment below or check out the rest of the site for other phone tips and information.