A restriction passcode is usually set by parents on their children's iPhones to make sure they cannot do everything on their phone. Mostly, the passcode restricts children from performing certain activities on their phones. This ensures they do not get in trouble unknowingly and that they can only use the feature that is for them.
If it has been long since you set a restriction passcode on your child's iPhone and you have forgotten it, well, then you will not be able to reset right from the iPhone itself. To retrieve that, you are going to need to use a third-party app that helps with retrieving restriction passcodes for iPhones.
In this guide, you are going to learn how you can retrieve the forgotten restriction passcode on iPhone X/8/8 Plus/7/7Plus/6s/6/5s/5.
- Method 1: Reset Forgotten iPhone Restriction Passcode by Factory Resetting
- Method 2: Retrieve Restriction Passcode on an iPhone without Restore
- Tip: How to Recover Lost Data on iPhone after Factory Resetting
Resetting your iPhone to factory settings is the easiest way to reset your forgotten restriction passcode on iPhone.
Simply go to Settings on iPhone > General > Reset > Erase All Content and Settings.
Another way to reset restriction passcode on iPhone is using a small third-party software. In this way, you don't need to restore your iPhone to factory settings and lost all data.
- 1. Plug in your iPhone to your computer using a compatible cable. What you are going to do is backup your iPhone using iTunes. When the iPhone is connected, launch the iTunes app on your computer.
- 2. When the iTunes app launches, proceed to create an iTunes backup of your iPhone. To do that, click on the Back Up Now button and iTunes will begin to backup your iPhone.
- 3. After a backup has been created, head over to the webpage here and download and install this small app on your computer.
- 4. Launch the app once it's installed on your computer. Then, make it read your iTunes backup file which you saved in one of the above steps.
When it has read the backup file, you will see a number of values on your screen. What you need to do is find the value that says SBParentsControlsPIN. The number given next to this field is your restriction passcode. Note it down.
While it does not always occur, sometimes doing stuffs like above leads to loss of data on the iPhone. If you think you have lost data on your iPhone, you can use UltData that helps you recover and restore the data on your iPhone after factory resetting.
1. Download and install the app on your computer. Launch the UltData app and connect your iPhone to your computer using a compatible cable.
2. On the following screen, check all that you wish to recover and then click on Start Scan to begin searching for the lost data and to recover it.
3. When the search is complete, you will see the results on your screen. What you need to do here is select the files that you wish to recover and then click on Recover to begin recovering those files.
So, you know how to retrieve the restriction passcode for your iPhone. You can now use it on your iPhone and even change it to something else should you want.