Contacts are extremely important for us to keep in touch with others. Recently, I'm receiving tons of messages from users who lost iPhone contacts after iOS 7 update as well as other data. To help them out, I introduce 2 easy and effective ways to recover iPhone contacts after iOS 7 upgrade.
Note: Someone suggest downgrading iOS 7 to iOS 6 if this happens. However, only the beta version can be downgraded. If you're running the public version, no way to downgrade. The downgrade also will make iPhone stuck in black Recovery Mode and cause iPhone contacts lost again. So, keep on reading to recover wiped contacts first.
How to Restore Lost Contacts from iPhone 5/4S/4 after iOS 7 Update
You can use either iPhone Data Recovery or iTunes for restoring iPhone contacts after iOS 7 update (We recommend the former for its ease and effectiveness). To help you better understand each instruction, we would like to specify 2 methods.
Method 1. Use iPhone Data Recovery to recover iPhone contacts after iOS 7 update
1. Run iPhone Data Recovery on your PC or iPhone Data Recovery for Mac on your MacBook and connect your iPhone to PC or Mac with the USB cable.
2. Click "Start Scan". For iPhone 5/4S, there is no need to enter DFU mode; for iPhone 4, follow the instructions on the screen to enter DFU mode.
3. Select "Contacts" to preview and check after the scan process. This program can scan not only the lost contacts after iOS update, but also the deleted ones due to other reasons.
4. Click "Recover" after selecting the wanted contacts or all and choose a save path on your computer to recover the contacts in the formats of vcf, xls, xml, or txt.
Method 2. Use iTunes Sync to restore iPhone contacts after iOS 7 update
Difficulty: A bit difficult
Equipments Required: The latest version of iTunes, PC or Mac, a USB cable
Time Required: Within 20 minutes
Previous Preparation Required: You have backed up iPhone contacts with iTunes before. If you haven’t use iTunes to sync or back up your contacts before you lost them, then you need to skip this method. Go directly to Method 1 if you are in this case.
1. You can also use "Restore from Back up" option to restore contacts lost after iOS 7 upgrading. However, this method would overwrite everything on your device anyway, since it doesn't provide any partial restore functionality.
2. iTunes can only recover the previous contacts you backed up before, which means you won’t retrieve the newly-added contacts after backup. Moreover, you can’t view and check the contacts in iTunes.
1. Connect your iPhone to computer with the USB cable.
2. Open iTunes if it doesn’t start automatically. iTunes will recognize your iPhone.
3. Click on the iPhone logo in iTunes and click “Info” tab.
4. Click the "Sync Contacts" checkbox. You can either choose to sync all of your contacts, or you can select specific groups of contacts.
5. Click "Sync". Don’t pull out your USB cable during the sync process. This will put the contacts from iTunes into your iPhone.
6. Click "Eject" when the sync is finished. Don’t remove your iPhone from computer without first ejecting it.
Now you can check your contacts on your iPhone. If you find your iPhone still misses some contacts (which would happen to some users sometimes), refer to the method in Method 1.
After all the steps, you should have a clear idea on how to restore iPhone contacts after iOS 7 update. Besides, iPhone Data Recovery can recover other lost data like messages, call history, bookmarks, notes, photos, videos, etc. after iPhone update to iOS 7.