How to Recover Raw Drive Data by Using Raw Recovery
"I need to convert this external USB HD somehow. There are videos and pictures of my son on there. I am too scared to send it in service center because I am afraid that they would probably mess it up. Please help me. I just lost those data for no reason. When I connected it with computer, it just said Raw and I didn't do anything with it since. Is there any RAW Recovery software to recover my 2TB hard drive that went showed 'Raw'."
--Asked by Gisele Garner in Yahoo.Answers
Have you ever encountered with similar problem? When you try to access data from your computer hard drive, are there times when the data are inaccessible? In such situations, your hard drive is shown as RAW. The properties of the drive often show 0 bytes. While actually there were plenty of photos, videos or documents and programs on there before. Soon, once you come across those problems, a small window interface will pop out. Following are the common error messages popped up on Windows screen.
- 1. "Invalid media type reading drive. Abort, Retry, Fail?"
- 2. "The disk in drive (X) is not formatted. Do you want to format it now?" or "There was an error accessing drive X:. The disk is not formatted."
- 3. "Sector not found".
- 4. "The type of the file system is RAW. CHKDSK is not available for RAW drive".
Among all the error messages when you cannot access to the data on your hard drive or external hard drive, "The disk in drive (X) is not formatted. Do you want to format it now?" is the commonest. Now, I am ready to take this as an example to discuss how to recover raw drive data.
Before RAW recovery, please keep in mind: Firstly, always do not format the inaccessible drive when you see the warning "The disk in drive (X) is not formatted. Do you want to format it now?" If you do, then recovering the raw data successfully can be very complicated, and to a great extent, it's impossible for you to restore those data again. Secondly, Don't use your drive any more before RAW recovery. Because in this situation, if you continue to write new data into the drive, then those new data will overwrite the raw data, therefore, to retrieve those raw data turns impossible.
If this is the case, you can start data recovery by using a raw recovery tool. Here I will recommend you RAW Recovery and Mac RAW Recovery, if you are seeking for a professional tool with capability of completely recovery within limited time. Next, let's learn how to recover "Raw" drive data with this software.
How to Recover RAW Drive in Windows 8, Windows 7, XP, or Vista?
- Step1. Free download RAW drive Recovery and install it properly.
- Step2. Select "Raw Recovery". Choose a partition or disk which you cannot access, then click "Scan" to start scanning. It's optional for you to select scan deleted files only.
- Step3. In the "Found Files List" column, you will see all the files listed there with specific header signature, click the ones you want to recover. In addition, before recovery, this program allows you to preview recoverable files. After you select all your files to recover, then click "Recover" to start raw recovery.
- Step4. Select a storage path to save the recovered files, finally click "OK" to complete recovery.
Note: the successfully recovered data are suggested to place in another disk as long as it is different from the original one.
After you get all your files and folders back, format the raw disk into NTFS/FAT file system to make it work normally again. By the way,if you have a new drive, do not use it as it's RAW file system, format it into NTFS/FAT file system before you use it to save data. Otherwise it might lead to data loss.
How to recover RAW on Mac with Mac RAW Recovery?
If you want to recover RAW on Mac OS X, you can try Mac RAW Recovery as well. It features the same functions as the Windows version based on Mac OS. The steps of how to recover data from RAW drive on Mac is super easy:
- Step 1: Select "Raw Recovery", and choose a partition and click "Scan".
- Step 2: Select the files you need to recover after previewing.
- Step 3: Click "Recover" to start recovering.
- Step 4: Specify another partition rather than the one you lost data to save the recovered files.
Download Data Recovery Professional to Rescue your Data:comments powered by Disqus